Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (PSHCE) gives pupils the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe and to manage their lives in modern Britain, now and in the future.
PSHCE – Year 1 : Key Objectives and Resources
See objectives for Year 1 – Year 2 – Year 3 – Year 4 – Year 5 – Year 6
In Year 1, pupils will be taught
Physical Health and Wellbeing
- that the human body is amazing and supports us in our lives but must be looked after carefully throughout our lives in various ways, including through healthy eating and drinking, physical activity and other self-care activities;
- about food choices that we can make to grow and be healthy, avoiding obesity;
- about the importance of eating a balanced diet which includes fruit and vegetables;
- how to look after our teeth, including brushing correctly and visiting the dentist;
- about germs and how they spread, and how to prevent the spread of germs through good hygiene;
- about the importance of sleep and good bedtime routines;
- about the general benefits of physical activity and exercise and the different ways we can keep out bodies physically fit and active, including through exercise and sport.
Mental and Emotional Health and Well-Being