School Year 2021 – 2022 (current academic year)
For 2021-2022, please note that:
- There are 189 school days rather than 190 school days in the academic year due to an additional bank holiday being granted in June 2022 to mark HM The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- The February half-term holiday (21 – 25 February 2022) for Manchester schools, including NCS, is DIFFERENT to that of Stockport and Trafford schools (14 – 18 February 2022). This is due to Trafford and Stockport not following the general pattern of holidays below.
School Year 2022 – 2023 (next academic year)
For 2022-2023 , please note that:
- Year 6 National Curriculum tests (SATs) will take place during the week beginning Monday 8th May 2023
- the dates of the Christmas holiday are different to those in STOCKPORT schools (Stockport schools finish for Christmas one week later)
- the dates of the February half-term holiday are different to those in TRAFFORD schools (Trafford schools’ half-term is the week beginning 13/02/2023)
General School Holiday Pattern for Manchester Schools
For future planning (and while waiting for confirmation of school term dates), the following is a general guide to the pattern of school holidays for Manchester (Manchester City Council) schools. This pattern has generally been agreed with neighbouring authorities (Trafford and Stockport, etc.) but this is not always the case.
- All terms to start on a Monday (or a Tuesday if so necessitated by a Public Holiday);
- Autumn half term will usually be the last full week in October;
- Spring half term will usually be the third full week in February;
- The Easter break will always (except in 2019) be the first two full weeks in April regardless of where Easter itself actually falls;
- Easter will always be observed by school closures on the bank holidays for Good Friday and Easter Monday;
- The Whitsun break will take place during the week of the Spring Bank Holiday, usually the last full week in May
- Where a school is open for part of a week to pupils, this will be for a minimum of three school days;
- Schools can decide the timings of five school closure days for staff training but there should be no more than two days set consecutively for this purpose;
- School closure days for staff training will usually but not always be one or two days immediately prior or immediately following a school holiday;
- Occasionally, a school closure day for staff training will take place during term time
- Northenden Community School is used as a polling station for local, general and European elections (usually the first Thursday in May) but will not usually close on these days.